Friday, November 22, 2013

Butternut Squash Soup

You may think I am crazy for starting a serious fat cut program right before the holidays, or maybe I am a genius! (I am) Working hard for results encourages me to stay convicted when amazing treats and snacks appear constantly on my doorstep. I seek out delicious, healthy fall recipes and this one is a winner! Butternut squash is incredibly nutritious, low in fat,  loaded with potassium for bone health, vitamin b6 for nervous and immune system health, and folate to guard against brain and spinal cord related birth defects (my wife is pregnant). Carotenoids which help protect against heart disease, deter breast cancer, and support healthy lung development in infants and fetuses. One cup of butternut squash has half a days recommended intake of Vitamin C. So how do you eat the stuff? Here is an easy, awesome recipe.

6 T. Chopped Onion
4 T. Butter
1 Butternut Squash
4 C. Chicken/Vegetable Stock (dealers choice)
1/2 t. Marjoram
1/4 t. Fresh Black Pepper
1/8 t. Cayenne
2 8 oz package cream cheese (softened)

Cut the butternut squash in half and remove seeds and guts place face down on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 1 hr. or until soft. Heat up butter in your soup pot and saute the onion until translucent. Add Stock, marjoram, squash, marjoram, pepper, and cayenne. Bring to boil then cook on med high for 20 min.
Move to blender with cream cheese and blend on high until smooth. Return to pot and warm (do not boil).  Enjoy!





I'm not sure if the kids liked it or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment