Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Fitness on The Cheap

This is a Pic of My home Gym!

I love going to garage sales. You get an inside look in a snapshot of an entire family  life. Motivational books, never cracked open, books on finance and laws of success unread, old cooking equipment rarely used and clothes that no longer fit. It is fascinating to see how people tried to live. On a whim they often buy a product to improve their lives, as the exitement wears off the item sits and gathers dust. (I also find a thrill in negotiating a 10 cent item to 8 cents!) Success! One item, however is strewn throughout yard sales weekend after weekend, month after month and year after year without fail: Exercise videos and equipment. Rarely are they even used, often never opened. So I got to wondering, "Why?" My answer came as I contemplated my own life. I have started and failed hundreds of times, this blog may make that list :) but I hope not. I have started and quit more exercise and fitness programs than I can count. My routines have lasted anywhere from days to weeks, but I did not really stick to anythign. This time I have. How I have however is the interesting part: I spent almost no money. I did not buy a home gym, I did not get a Golds pass in fact I hate the phone harassment so much from Golds I did not even look into it!

The reason a gym pass did not work for me, and I think does not work for most people is you have no idea what you are doing. You show up like a contractor with no experience would to a job site, you see lumber, nails tools and a foundation and know it can make a beautiful home but you have not idea how it goes together. You pick up a hammer and nails and boards and just start trying. Soon the house you built is unfit for a litter of illegitimate kittens so you give up and move on. Without a trainer or a plan YOU WILL NEVER SUCCEED. Hours on the treadmill will leave you tired, frustrated and annoyed. However golds gym or wherever you go will keep on deducting that 18 bucks a month from your account, rumor is you don't pay based on your results. When you buy equipment sometimes you use it once or twice but when results are not instantaneous often we give up, eventually the new years resolution wears off.

Here is what I did, largely because I am cheap, partly because I was not committed like I am now.

1. I bought UFC personal trainer on amazon for 15 bucks. I already had the xbox. You don't need to buy a game, you can buy workout dvds all over craigslist, KSL if you live in Utah, amazon,  or nearly anywhere for under $20.  UFC personal trainer has 3, 30 day programs at different intensity levels and 3, 60 day programs. It works because it's automatic, I wake up, pound a Gnarly blend pre work out, walk downstairs and do whatever the game tells me. I did not buy workout clothes, I did not buy weights, I did not buy anything. I just threw on some ratty shorts and got ready to vomit several times. I also talked back to a digital trainer when he tried to push me too hard. He didn't even care or respond! So start Small!

2. Reward your hard work with new equipment. As I got going and was consistent for a month my shins started hurting. Working out barefoot was the culprit, so I sprung for some shoes. I did not go to Foot Locker or some other fancy work out store, I'm not trying to win a triathlon, I just wanted decrease the pain in my shins. As I was more consistent I needed to bump up my workout so I bought some resistance bands http://www.amazon.com/Black-Mountain-Products-Resistance-Exercise/dp/7245456313/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377107763&sr=8-1&keywords=resistance+bands these ones to be exact. 30 bucks. When I got sick of our crappy basement carpent scratching my back like a cat on a post, I went to Ross and sprung for 15 bucks on a workout mat. I also bought shorts and work out shirts as I slimmed out of the ones I had. But I did not go to a major sporting goods store, I went to Ross and cruised the clearance rack.

I have probably dropped about $200 total since Feb. And will not need anything for a long time. Most of the money was on workout clothes and shoes, so if I stop working out (NO PLAN TO) I will still have clothes to wear.

NEXT POST: How Long Do I Workout



No comments:

Post a Comment